Moving is a time of new beginnings and fresh starts. It’s a great opportunity to declutter, sort through your belongings and get organized for the future. However, moving also presents its unique challenges – packing everything you own into boxes and transporting them to your new home can be a real challenge!
Packing efficiently means spending time on creating the right size boxes with as little excess space as possible, so you don’t have to spend hours unpacking again later. To make this process easier and reduce stress levels significantly, you need to find the perfect moving boxes. Buy fast-moving boxes delivery NYC and see the difference!
Make a moving checklist
Many people move around in the US. A moving checklist will help you organize the process and ensure you don’t forget anything. Start by gathering all the necessary documents you’ll need for the move. Make sure you have a valid driver’s license and vehicle registration if you need to drive a car on moving day. You may also need a permit if you live in an apartment building and need to park a moving truck. Packaging for your move will be much easier when you have all the documents in one place. Make a list of all the possessions you want to move and decide where they will go in your new home. When packing, keep items grouped by category (clothes, books, kitchen supplies) to make unpacking easier. If you have children, make sure they have a say in what they want to take with them to their new home.
Know the weight and size limits for your boxes
To get the most out of your moving boxes, you must ensure you’re using the right size box. If a box is too small, you’ll have to use more boxes, adding to your moving costs. Ensure the box you’re using for your TV is big enough to contain the item without breaking the TV. The box should be at least as wide as the TV and three times as long. You should also keep the weight of items you’re moving, especially if hiring professional movers. If a box is too heavy for the movers to lift, they may charge you extra for their services, so make sure you know the weight restrictions for your boxes.
Find the right supplies
It would be best if you always had certain moving supplies when packing and transporting your belongings. Before packing, ensure you have the right supplies to make your move easier. The essentials include:
- Moving boxes of all sizes and shapes – The right boxes can make or break your move. Make sure you choose sturdy boxes to carry your heavy items without damaging them.
- Movers’ tape – You can use this to seal your boxes, keeping them closed and preventing your items from shifting inside.
- Marking tools – Use these to label the outside of your boxes so you can easily identify what’s inside.
- Protective packing materials – These can help shield breakable items from damage during transportation.
- Moving blankets – Use these to keep your things clean and dust-free.
Decide on your most important items
When packing your boxes, pack the most important items first. This will help you complete your move faster and keep your sanity. Make a list of your most valuable items and try to fit them into the first couple of boxes you pack. If one of your boxes gets lost during transit, you’ll still have your most important possessions. You can also use these items to break up the monotony of packing. For example, you can start packing dishes, switch to blankets and clothes, and finish with heavier items like books or sports equipment.
Moreover, while packing, make sure you keep similar items together. For example, if you have a lot of books, you can fill them together in boxes. This can make unpacking easier and eliminate the risk of accidentally leaving a box unopened.
Choose soft-side vs. hard-side boxes
There are two types of moving boxes, soft-side and hard-side boxes. Both types have advantages and disadvantages, so you must decide which type is best for your move. Soft-side boxes are made from a flexible, fabric-like material. They’re lightweight and easier to transport than hard-side boxes, but they’re not as strong, so you can’t pack heavy items in them. Hard-side boxes are constructed from solid cardboard and don’t bend when lifted. They’re ideal for packing heavy items, but they’re more serious and take up more space in your vehicle. Hard-side boxes are better if you have many heavy items to move.
Selecting the right type of box
Now that you’ve decided between soft-side and hard-side boxes, it’s time to determine what type of box you should use. You can fit a lot of items inside a full standard-sized moving box. You can also use a full-sized box to pack things too large or heavy to work in a standard box.
- Standard-sized Moving Box – Standard-sized boxes are great for items of all shapes and sizes, including books, toys, and clothes.
- Full-sized Moving Box – A full-sized box is great for packing items longer than standard boxes.
- Giant Moving Box – Giant boxes are perfect for packing large, heavy items like TVs, furniture, and large stuffed animals.
Wrapping breakable items
If you’re moving delicate items like glassware, porcelain, or pottery, you must wrap them carefully to prevent damage. There are three ways to do this: bubble wrap, newspaper, or paper towels.
- Bubble wrap – Place your fragile items inside a thick plastic bag, then cover them with bubble wrap.
- Newspaper – If you don’t have bubble wrap, you can use a newspaper instead.
- Paper towels – Roll up your fragile items in paper towels and then wrap them in a plastic bag. When you’re moving, you don’t want to leave anything to chance, as even minor damage can hugely impact your finances. Purchasing the right boxes, packing efficiently, and wrapping fragile items properly will help you avoid costly mistakes that could otherwise ruin your moving experience.
The process is much easier when you know what to look for in the right moving boxes. Your move will go more smoothly, and you’ll be able to focus on other aspects of the transition. You’ll be able to unpack everything quickly and easily and settle in your new home in no time.